In order to gain practical field experience each master’s student must complete a practicum and internship in consecutive Fall and Spring semesters.
Step 1 — Read the Practicum/Internship handbook
Step 2 — Attend Practicum/Internship Orientation
Step 3 — Submit Practicum Application
Step 4 — Complete Practicum Site Information Form (upon notification of acceptance)
Step 5 — Submit Insurance to Lydia Stewart, Administrative Specialist
Master's students, regardless of program, and EDS School Psychology students are required to attend a practicum-internship orientation prior to starting their practicum-internship sequence. Students must attend the entire session. Students should sign-in at the session. Program Coordinators or faculty members will be conducting the session. Please direct all practicum-internship questions to Dr. Orr for CMH, Dr. Gilbride for CREH, or Dr. Perkins for SPS.
Apply for the practicum/internship sequence by submitting Form 1000:Application for Practicum and Internship by the posted deadline date. It is not required to have a practicum site secured to submit an application. You are responsible for finding a field placement site. Use the approved CPS Practicum-Internship Site Listings sheet below to start searching for sites. Guidelines for Becoming an Approved Practicum/Internship Site for Georgia State University’s Mental Health Program . Approval for any site that is not listed must be initiated by March 23, 2018. You need to submit Form 1002: New Site Approval Application Form. Once an approved site has been secured you need to submit Form 1003: Practicum/Internship Site Information Form. We recommend that you consider the following when selecting a site:
- The type of work you may be involved in.
- The type of client population you will be working with.
- Convenience of transportation to the site.
- What and how many hours you will be working.
- Who would be supervising you and how much supervision you would be receiving.
- Additional activities the agency may require of students and possible in-service training opportunities.
- Ability to tape your counseling sessions for purposes of supervision.
- Whether you will be able to lead/co-lead a group.
- How many semesters you are expected to be involved with the agency (some agencies leave this up to the student, but most require at least two semesters and some require a one year commitment).
- If insurance coverage is required.
Mental Health and Rehabilitation Students:
|Practicum||CPS 7660 or 7663||Fall mini-mester 1 (first ten weeks of fall semester)|
|Internship I||CPS 7680 or 7683||Fall mini-mester 2 (last four weeks of fall semester)|
|Internship II||CPS 7680 or 7683||Spring semester|
School Counseling Students:
|Practicum||CPS 7661||Spring semester, first year|
|Internship I||CPS 7681||Fall semester, second year|
|Internship II||CPS 7681||Spring semester, second year|
School Psychology Students:
|Practicum I||CPS 7662||Fall semester|
|Practicum II||CPS 8662||Spring semester|
|Internship I||CPS 8680||Fall semester|
|Internship II||CPS 8680||Spring semester|