Roger O. Weed, Ph.D.
Roger O. Weed, Ph.D., CRC/R, LPC/Ret, CCM/R, CDMS/R, CLCP/R, FNRCA, FIALCP
Roger O. Weed, Professor Emeritus, is retired as professor and graduate rehabilitation counseling coordinator at Georgia State University. He also held doctoral student graduate faculty status in Counseling Psychology and Counselor Education and Practice. He has authored or co-authored approximately 150 books, reviews, articles and book chapters.
During his more than 42 years in the profession, Dr. Weed was honored several times for his work including the 2006 Distinguished Professor Award from Georgia State University’s Alumni Association (sole recipient), 2011 Lifetime Appreciation Award form the International Commission on Health Care Certification, 2009 Larry Huggins Lifetime Achievement Award from the Private Rehabilitation Specialists of Georgia, 2005 Lifetime Achievement Award, from the sponsors of the International Life Care Planning Conference, 2004 Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals (as well as recognition in 1997 and 1991 as the Outstanding Educator), the 1993 National Professional Services Award from the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association, and 2003 Research Excellence Award from the College of Education at Georgia State University.
Dr. Weed is one of the five founders of the national training program leading to life care planning certification. He is also past-chair of the Georgia State Licensing Board for professional counselors, marriage and family therapists, and social workers, as well as past-president of the International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals.
Historical professional interests were related to forensic rehabilitation (assessing needs and costs of damages from injuries).
Current interests include life care planning forensic practices, hiking, biking and traveling.
Berens, D. & Weed, R. (Eds.) (2019). Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook (4th ed.). Boca Raton, FL: St. Lucie/CRC Press
Berens, D. & Weed, R. (2018). Developing a life care plan. In F. Zollman (Ed.), Manual of Traumatic Brain Injury Management, 2nd ed. New York, NY: Demos Medical Publishing
Roger O. Weed, Ph.D.
Publications since retirement 12-2011
- Weed, R. & Berens, D. (Eds.) (in press 2018). Life Care Planning and Case Management Handbook (4th ed.). Abingdon, UK: Routledge Press. [~1,000 pages]
- Weed, R. & Owen, T. (2018). Life Care Planning: A Step-by-Step Guide (2nd ed.). Athens, GA: E & F Vocational Services. [60 pages]
- Weed, R. & Field, T. (May, 2012). The rehabilitation consultant’s handbook (4th ed.). Athens, GA: E & F Vocational Services. [441 pages]
- Weed, R. (9-2017). Musings of a life care planning dinosaur. In T. Field (Ed.) A history of private sector rehabilitation. Athens, GA: Elliott & Fitzpatrick, 257-262.
- Weed, R. (9-2017). IARP/NARPPS history. In T. Field (Ed.) A history of private sector rehabilitation. Athens, GA: Elliott & Fitzpatrick, 85-87.
- Berens, D.E. & Weed, R.O. (2016). Developing a life care plan for brain injuries. In F.S. Zollman (Ed.). Manual of traumatic brain injury: Assessment and management (2nd edition). New York: Springer: Demos Medical Publishing, 476-484.
- Weed, R. & Berens, D. (Sept, 2012). Life care planning after TBI: Clinical and forensic issues. In N. Zasler, D. Katz & R. Zafonte (Eds.), Brain injury rehabilitation, 2nd ed. New York, NY: Demos Medical Publishing, 1437 – 1453.
ARTICLES and other publications (* indicates peer review)
- Shahnasarian, M., Weed, R., Preston, K., Pennachio, G. & Albee, T. (2016). Insights into the International Association of Life Care Planning Fellow Program: Questions and Answers from Program Developers. JLCP 13(4), 21-25.
- *Field, T. & Weed R. (2015). Will the Affordable Care Act and Tort Reform Render the Collateral Source Doctrine Obsolete in Resolving the Issue of Damages in Cases Involving Personal Injury and Life Care Planning? RehabPro, 23(3), 133-148.
- *Johnson, C. & Weed, R. (August, 2013). Life care planning process. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, 24(3), 403-417.
- Weed, R. (2012). Life Care Planning Summits Special Issue introduction. Journal of Life Care Planning, 11(1), 3-4.
- Weed, R., Johnson, C., Riddick-Grisham, S., & Yuhas, S. (2012). What every life care planner should know about the 2012 Life Care Planning Summit. Journal of Life Care Planning, 11(1), 113-118.