In order to gain practical field experience each student must complete a practicum (CPS 7660 or 7663) and internship (CPS 7680 or 7683) in consecutive Fall and Spring semesters.
|Practicum||CPS 7660 or 7663||Fall mini-mester 1 (first half of fall semester)|
|Internship||CPS 7680 or 7683||Fall mini-mester 2 (second half of fall semester)|
|Internship||CPS 7680 or 7683||Spring semester|
You should plan to begin your practicum work after completing prerequisites, but not before your third semester in the program.
Step 1 — Read the Practicum/Internship handbook
Step 2 — Complete prerequisite course work
Step 3 — Attend a Practicum/Internship Orientation
Step 4 — Apply for Practicum and select Practicum Site
Step 5 — Complete Practicum Site Information Form (upon notification of acceptance)
Step 6 — Print and sign the CPS 7680 Field Counseling Internship Contract
Step 7 — Print and sign the Cumulative Summary of Practicum-Internship
Step 8 — Please print and keep copies of these forms. You will need them through out your practicum/internship experience.
Once prerequisite requirements have been fulfilled the next steps are:
- Submit an application to enter the practicum/internship sequence
- Secure a practicum/internship site
The application to enter the practicum/internship sequence must be submitted by the posted deadline date.It is not required to have a practicum site secured in order to submit an application, however a site must be secured before the semester begins.
Applying for the Practicum/Internship SequenceIn order to apply for the practicum/internship sequence you must fill out Form 1000:Application for Practicum and Internship*.
* Please note that if you apply or register for the practicum/internship sequence and then decide not to enter the course, you must fill out a Form 1001: Practicum/Internship Postponement Form.
Selecting and Securing a Practicum/Internship SiteYou are responsible for finding a field placement site. You should begin looking for sites no later than the early part of the Spring semester prior to practicum. You may even find it helpful to begin looking one year in advance. A good place to start looking is the Practicum-Internship Site Listing (see below) for sites which offer the experiences of interest to you.
The site you select must be able to fulfill the following training requirements:
- On-site counseling responsibilities encompassing 12-15 hours per week during practicum and 25-30 hours per week during the internship.
- On-site supervisor with a minimum of a master's degree in counseling or closely related field and appropriate certification and/or licensure, a minimum of two (2) years pertinent professional experience, and a commitment to meet with you for at least one (1) hour per week for individual supervision.
- The ability to audiotape at least three (3) individual counseling sessions weekly for supervision.
- The ability to lead/co-lead a group which meets at least once a week for sixteen weeks.
In addition we recommend that you consider the following when selecting a site:
- The type of work you may be involved in.
- The type of client population you will be working with.
- Convenience of transportation to the site.
- What and how many hours you will be working.
- Who would be supervising you and how much supervision you would be receiving.
- Additional activities the agency may require of students and possible in-service training opportunities.
- Ability to tape your counseling sessions for purposes of supervision.
- Whether you will be able to lead/co-lead a group.
- How many semesters you are expected to be involved with the agency. (some agencies leave this up to the student, but most require at least two semesters and some require a one year commitment)
- If insurance coverage is required.
All agencies listed where students have been placed in previous semesters are approved practicum sites unless otherwise noted on the online list.Approval for any site that is not listed must be initiated by March 28, 2014. If a site does not appear in the approved site list, an application for site approval must be originated by you. You need to submit Form 1002: New Site Approval Application Form. Once an approved site has been secured you need to submit Form 1003: Practicum/Internship Site Information Form. (If you previously submitted an New Site Approval Application for Practicum/Internship form, you are still required to submit the Practicum/Internship Site Information Form upon notification of your agency's approval as a GSU practicum/internship site.)
Changing sites after you have begun fieldwork is discouraged but sometimes necessary.When this is initiated by the student, on-site supervisor, or the GSU supervisor, departmental procedures are to be followed. A Form 1005: Change of Site Form must be completed and submitted to the GSU supervisor (CPS 7660/7663 or CPS 7280 instructor) for approval.
All Master's students, regardless of program, and all EDS School Psychology students are required to attend a practicum-internship orientation prior to starting their practicum-internship sequence in the fall. These orientations are usually held in October, November, December or January.
Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Master's students
Those counseling students hoping to register for CPS 7660/7680 and CPS 7663/7683 in Fall 2014 MUST register for and attend one of the sessions below:
|CMH/REH Students Date and Time||Program||Location||Registration is required!|
|Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 3:00 p.m.-6:00p.m.||CMH||COE 1030||Register here|
|Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 2:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m.||REH||COE 1025||Register here|
HostDr. Jonathan Orr, Practicum-Internship Coordinator for mental health counseling students, will be hosting and conducting the MHC session. Dr. Dennis Gilbride, Practicum-Internship Coordinator for rehabilitation counseling students, will be hosting and conduction the REH session. Please direct all practicum-internship questions to those faculty members. [/item]
Those school counseling students hoping to register for CPS 7661 in Fall 2014 MUST attend the session below:
|SCO Students - Date and Time||Location||Registration|
|January 15, 2014, 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.||COE 1025||Pre-Registraton is not required. Students MUST Sign-in at the meeting.|
SCO Practicum-Internship Handbook 2014-2015
SCO Application For Practicum CPS 7661 and Internship CPS 7681
Those MED school psychology students hoping to register for CPS 7662 in Fall 2014 MUST attend:
|Date and Time||Program||Location||Registration not required|
|Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:00 a.m.- Noon||MED SPS||COE 915||
Pre-Registration is not required. Students MUST Sign-in at the meeting.
Those Soon-to-be EDS school psychology students hoping to register for CPS 8680 in Fall 2014 MUST attend:
|Date and Time||Program||Location||Registration not required|
|Monday, January 13, 2014 3:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||EDS SPS||COE 1030||
Pre-Registration is not required. Students MUST sign-in at the meeting.