School Counseling M.Ed.
- Elementary/Middle School Concentration: Prepares students to be a school counselor in grades K-8
- Secondary School Concentration: Prepares students to be a school counselor in grades 9-12
- Skills Gained: Counsel pupils, parents and teachers; assist students plan for college/career; coordinate resources of school/community to meet development needs of students; and cooperative methods for working with administrators and data use for student advocacy.
- Expertise: Child growth and development, assessment, group process facilitation, interviewing and consultation skills, classroom intervention techniques, interpersonal dynamics, and school curriculum.
- Accreditation: Our program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation in School Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Approach: We follow the American School Counselor Association ASCA Model to prepare students to run a comprehensive, data-driven school counseling program.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university
- Interest in making an impact on K-12 students' college and career readiness
- Full-time school counselor seeking state certification in Georgia
- Ability to be a full-time student
- A minimum of 60 semester hours is required to receive your degree
- 6 semesters or 2 years
- Typically, you will register for 9-12 credit hours per semester
- Atlanta Public Schools
- Cobb County School District
- DeKalb County School District
- Fulton County School District
- Gwinnett County School District
The program for the major in school counseling is designed to prepare students for certification. Degree requirements may exceed the minimum number of hours for professional certification. The ACA requires 700 hours of supervision during practicum/internship in School Counseling. In addition, the Counseling and Psychological Services Department requires 200 hours of supervision in school counseling during practicum/internship for students that do not possess a S-5 certification in Georgia Public Schools. The School Counseling program offers concentrations in either elementary/middle school or secondary school.
Course Description & Classes
Request Program Information